Saturday, May 22, 2010

Adventure

I love stormy weather. Usually I enjoy it from my living room with a fire in the fireplace and some hot tea where it feels so cozy and safe. Today, however, I enjoyed the weather while on a bike ride. Not that I planned to ride while being pelted by razor-sharp raindrops, the rain started halfway through my ride. At first I was irritated by the inconvenience. Still ten miles from home and already soaked, the feeling of cold starting in my toes and advancing up to my brain. After a while though I started to look around and enjoy it. I felt like an intrepid adventurer, braving the elements.

Not too many other people were out there (except for the drivers of cars which sprayed me with water every few seconds). It was fun to smile and nod to the few other brave souls walking or biking (or stupid souls, your choice). There’s something about “bad” weather that brings people together (think of the last snow storm you might have been in). We were experiencing the rain fully in a way you couldn’t if you were in a car. So even though I was soaked, freezing, muscles burning (I may have ridden farther than originally intended), I was also laughing. I felt like a kid jumping in the puddles and getting all wet just for the fun of it.

Now I’m glad to be back in my warm home with a snuggly cat in my lap, but I’m also glad I got to have a little adventure today.

What kinds of adventures have you had lately?

2 comments:

  1. On Friday I invested 3 hours beside students from a Bible Presbyterian Church School and a Jewish Day School. We packaged over five tons of corn on the cob for the food banks in Washington State. Any corn that fell on the floor or off of the cobs was headed to a pig farm. I hope the pigs aren't offended that the corn was handled by practicing Jews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FIVE TONS of corn??? That's a lot for 3 hours of work.
    And I bet the pigs don't really care where the corn comes from, they just like to chow.

    ReplyDelete