Saturday, April 17, 2010

Silence


Sitting at home today I realized it has been too long since I have been surrounded by silence. There’s always outside noise around me; TV, radio, kids at work. Most of the time I’m the one turning on the intruding sounds. It’s easier to leave the TV on in the background than to listen to my own thoughts swirl around. Safer to turn up the radio and keep difficult memories at bay. Memories of friends now gone, or friendships dissolved. Flashbacks of mistakes made throughout the day. Visions and dreams of what life could be (but isn’t).

Why is it so scary to just sit in silence?

1 comment:

  1. Richard Foster identifies 'silence' as an avenue into worship in his Celebration of Discipline book. I sort of miss 'meeting of silence' with the Friends. The scary thing for me, when I attempt to enter into silence, is that God won't bother to notice; I fear that my LORD won't have time to speak to me. But God does have time and He does comfort and bring peace. Thanks, Toni, for reminding me of silence.

    ReplyDelete