Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Infomercial-ism

Lately I've been intrigued by infomercials. Currently I'm watching one on a device that cracks eggs for you. Wow. Before watching this I wasn't aware that cracking eggs with my own hands was such a chore!
My favorite part of infomercials is where they describe the problem. (Or try to convince us that we have a problem.) Usually this part is in black-and-white, and the camera angle is all crazy.
Then comes the solution. It's amazing how these commercials promise to make all your problems disappear immediately. If you purchase this product you will be happy and successful. And of course there's the message that we all deserve to have perfect and trouble free lives.
Such a commentary on our society. We (and I include myself here) often think we deserve life to be perfect, and look for things that will solve our problems immediately with little or no effort on our part. This is seen most easily with the weight-loss and exercise equipment adds. "In only 10 minutes a day," "See results right away." Seems silly when (in my experience) most meaningful change happens through gradual progress and hard work.
I often feel "infomercial-ism" creep in where I start to think that I deserve life to be perfect, and that results should be immediate. (Don't get me wrong here, I don't think infomercials are the problem, just a symbol of how we think).
That's all I have to say. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Maybe the reason we need to lose weight is that we keep buying all these "energy-saving" devises, though the egg cracker sure looks harder than just whacking the thing.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sad part is when real life begins to feel like an info-mercial. You go to work or church or the grocery store, and everyone wants to sell you something useless that will make your life better. Each useless scheme comes with its own, live, testimonial - just like the TV infomercials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughtful observation and commentary. Too true, too sad, too commonly swallowed hook line and sinker.
    I have the misfortune of occasionally working in a home with daytime TV going (actually, it's been a long time, but I remember). It is amazing to me how many of our American ailments and problems can be solved by just taikng one little pill. WE are like the Israelites who have forgotten just how all of theis blessing and abundance came to be. I'm counting down, without sadness or regrets, 'til we can evacuate this planet. I hope that doesn't sound depressing, because it certainly is not meant to.

    We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. Heb 6:19

    ReplyDelete