Monday, June 20, 2011

Don't stress the mess

Thoughts and observations on life that I'm sure have been made before, and will be made again.

Recently realizing anew that life is messy.
                                        At least GOOD life is messy.

We can have a fairly clean life, planned out, with i's dotted and t's crossed. Tempting for a semi-OCD Type-A person like myself. I'm drawn to order and neatness. An unmade bed or non-alphabetized bookcase has the potential to send me into a cleaning spree. Not a bad thing all the time, organization has it's place. However sometimes for me the spic-and-span can get in the way of real life. And is a way for me to pretend I have control over life (insert laugh here). And prevents me from taking risks.

Organized life is safe. Planning every step feels secure. Only doing what I'm good at limits that nagging sense of failure. Unknown can be frightening. Change difficult to get used to. Friendships are surely messy (anyone out there disagree with that one?). Risks are scary, failure a distinct possibility.

Do I want a safe and secure life though? Or do I want life stuffed with adventure and community! Knowing each step becomes boring. No-tolerance policy for mess negates true friendship. Taking a chance can reap rewards beyond the imagination. Relationships put the life into living. Mistakes and missteps are amazing teachers.

So when my insides shudder at piles of moving boxes at the office, or when my head aches just thinking of dirty dishes in the sink, or when I don't get a full 8-hours of sleep that was planned I'l try to remember:

Good life is messy.
                              And scary.
                                                  And exciting.
                                                                      And fulfilling.



Take a Deep Breath and get ready for an amazing messy life.

1 comment:

  1. Proverbs 14:4 – Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the ox. (ESV)
    Life really is richer with the mess.

    ReplyDelete