Sunday, June 5, 2011

Devil's Peak

Welcome back Sunshine!

Such a fantastic weekend of sunny weather here in Portland, spectacular. Amazing. Astounding. Magnificent. Did I miss any adjectives? Truly, a sunny day in the Northwest is worth all the rain. 
And I was able to absorb much sun and fun this weekend. Here's a glimpse of Portland from the Japanese Gardens yesterday:


And today another training hike near Mt Hood. If you saw my last post you heard me complaining about blisters from my new mountaineering boots. Two weeks of healing, and today had much better luck with the same boots--yea!!--and was able to fully enjoy scenic views and the camaraderie on the trail.

Daniel really ISN'T trying to hit Kris, I promise


Group 1 Studs @ the summit
Devil's Peak is a challenging trail, but seemed somewhat easier than many of our other training hikes. Maybe we're all just in better shape now! 
This trail started out steep, gaining nearly 500 feet in elevation in the first 15-20 minutes, and maintained a less-steep but steady slope the rest of the way up (reaching 5045 feet at the summit). As with many of our recent hikes the lower part of the trail was clear but we encountered snow in higher elevations, which made staying on the trail tricky at times. 
Check out these trail signs that we almost missed since they were buried in snow!

 And I love these next couple of photos because it looks like they are on some epic trek through the wilderness.


In spite of the snow it was quite warm out today. The challenge today was to keep cool, which is quite a change from the other training hikes where layers and hand-warmers took precedence.


Quick fundraising update: The deadline was Friday to have all of my funds in, thank-you to all who donated! I had some ground to make-up in order to reach the minimum, and was able to cover that myself. Still accepting donations until the climb in July (I hope to be on the July 13-16 climb). Go to my fundraising page here to learn more about Climb For Clean Air or to donate.



The Tally: 
Mt Rainier                          17 mi      9,000 ft elevation gain
Training Hikes So Far       89 mi     30,300 ft elevation gain






No comments:

Post a Comment