Sunday, April 24, 2011

Indian Point




Spring is finally here in full force! What a spectacular day. 







No group hike this weekend due to the holiday, but I hit the trail solo anyway. Had missed the Indian Point hike a few weeks back when I was working and wanted to check out the trail. So glad I did!

Indian Point


Started out in the Gorge just past Cascade Locks on the Herman Creek trail. After a few miles there was a small side trail that led out to Indian Point itself. 


The last little bit took me on a narrow rocky trail with steep drop-offs on each side and impeccable views. 
I had sent the a link with the following quote about the trail to my Mom before I left to tell her about the trail. However I hadn't really read what it said: 


Ridge to get to Indian Point
"If you're adventurous (or foolish?), take the short side trip to Indian Point . . . beware that this trail gets dangerous as it goes along with a narrow trail, steep drop-offs on both sides, no railings, and no warning signs. If you fell it would almost certainly be fatal."  


Didn't seem too scary in real life, but might have thought twice about trekking out there if I had read it first. Sorry Mom! Didn't mean to scare you! 


Headed back down via the Nick Eaton trail which had beautiful views of the gorge. 







Already many wildflowers have cropped up on the side of the hill, and I bet it's going to be absolutely covered in the next month or two. Seriously considering a return trip for that reason. 










The group hikes have been so fun recently, but I have missed hiking alone. It's great to stop for a photo or water break without holding the group up. And walking in the woods in silence calms the soul.





Tally 
Mt Rainier                          17 mi      9,000 ft elevation gain
Training Hikes So Far        46 mi     15,400 ft elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment