Sunday, April 17, 2011

Climbers Clinic

rainy day out in the snow
Yesterday the group headed up to Timberline on Mt Hood for some good training on climbing techniques, and play with ice axes and crampons. We were blessed with cold rainy weather for testing gear in those conditions as well (yea for us!)






crampons



It was great to have experienced climbers there showing us various ways to climb up and down snowy slopes without falling off the mountain or poking an eye out with an ice axe. We were able to practice some of the techniques as well and I had fun plunge stepping down and duck stepping up the hill. (Even though at one point I plunge stepped right up to my waist, not so easy to get up again!)



on the practice hill (I'm 3rd from the left)








Tally (same as last week since this wasn't a traditional trail hike)
Mt Rainier
                 17 mi      9,000 ft elevation gain
Training Hikes So Far        
                 37 mi     12,600 ft elevation gain



Fundraising update: Have raised 29% of my total, thanks to you all! I have been so blessed by your generosity. This past week I even received a donation from someone I have never met, amazing. If you want to track my progress or make a donation click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment