Sunday, January 23, 2011

Climbing Mountains

Do you ever feel like you sit around dreaming of things but never get out there and do anything about it? I sure have. For a long time. The past couple of years have been different though. Finally tired of sitting on the sidelines playing wallflower it has been time to get out there and reach for those dreams. While not all of the efforts have played out as hoped, every attempt has been worth it.

One of my long-time dreams is climbing Mount Rainier. Have loved the mountain for as long as I can remember. Growing up in full view (barring cloudy days) of the magnificent 14,410 foot mountain was the initial inspiration. Even when I moved away I always carried images of the mountain with me, both literally and figuratively. In fact, when I arrived at college it turns out I only took one photograph with me, one of the mountain. Fortunately my gracious parents sent along photos of friends and family later (and didn't give me too hard of a time for forgetting them). Getting back into hiking recently re-ignited the desire to climb. Recently I stumbled upon a way to make this happen (contacts and information obtained from reaching for other dreams were partially to thank for this stumble).

Many steps to take in training and fundraising before I can actually find myself on the summit. Plan is to keep moving forward one step at a time. Hopefully I can transfer that concept, and climb many mountains (actual and mental) in this lifetime.

(And if you're interested in joining the team (I think there are a few spots left), or in donating toward my fundraising goal check out my American Lung Association page here).

No comments:

Post a Comment