Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Friend that Built Me


Today marks 12 years since my friend Andrea died. How can I begin to describe her and what she means to me? I can’t. So here are some snapshots of my favorite memories of our time together.


Practicing gymnastics on the front lawn. Or using the back of her Grandma's couch as a balance beam, her Grandma would get so scared when we were doing flips up there!


Andrea had such a great memory. In high-school she could still remember the name of everyone in our kindergarten class and what they were wearing in our class photo. I have a terrible memory, and she really was my memory holder for much of childhood. If only we could chat again and remember together.


Andrea would sit in Geometry class with her leg behind her neck. Crazy girl.


Meeting my friend on the first day of Kindergarten. It's so fun how just sharing a toy can turn into a long friendship at that age.


Making up songs and dances to showcase for our parents. I still remember some of them and want to start singing or dancing them. But it wouldn't make much sense to anyone but Andrea.


Watching movies over and over again, reciting the lines along with the actors. (I plan to do this in the AM with a couple of our favorites, good times).


Fighting over a plastic bag. Yep, that’s right, a plastic bag. We laughed about this one for years. As far as I remember this was one of only two fights we ever had.


Playing with our dolls. When we were in high-school. It was so great to have a friend who wasn't too cool to still do fun things.


I could go on, but better stop here. Thanks for reading. Somehow telling other people about Andrea helps. Keeping her memory alive and all that (cheesy, but true).


Miss you my friend.




(Miranda Lambert "The House that Built Me")



2 comments:

  1. Andrea never forgot your Dad or my birthday. What teenager remembers their friend's parents' birthdays? She was such a wonderful example of what being a friend is all about. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony Bittner8/8/10, 4:18 PM

    I remember how much time it took to brush out your hair, and couldn't imagine the hours of patient persistence that Cynthia invested in Andrea's hair.
    I can still hear Andrea's voice on the answering machine informing us that we had won a trip to Tahiti.
    How many times did each of you ask to stay over "just one more night"? I don't regret any of those opportunities. Mamy people go an entire lifetime without ever even imagining a freindship like Andrea's and yours.
    Thanks for posting her smile one more time.

    ReplyDelete