Sunday, August 1, 2010

Finish with a smile

Ok, so I’m still coming down from my post-triathlon high and am all emotional and introspective. My apologies in advance for what follows.


I was just thinking about what a difference expectations make. Somewhere early in my triathlon training I came across a book (“Triathlon 101” by John Mora) that had some great tips for your first race. While I found much of the information helpful, the best advice was as follows: “A great goal for your first triathlon is to finish with a smile.”


I instantly liked that advice. Sounds like a much more achievable goal than “I want to finish in ______ minues,” or “in _____ place in my division.” Much less pressure. Also sounds more fun than striving to just Finish (it would be pretty easy to finish and be frustrated and angry and still have a terrible experience).


I set forth in training with this goal foremost in my mind. Finish with a smile. Finish. With a smile.


Somewhere along the line I started to think that this is a good goal for many things in life. I began to realize that often the reason I’m disappointed or angry is because my expectations haven’t been met. Where did those expectations come from though? What if I changed my expectations and goals? Could that change my reaction even if the results were the same? I found out the answer is yes. On occasion I was able to start work with the goal of going through the day with a smile. It’s actually pretty amazing how reminding myself of that goal throughout the day can make a difference. It helped me let-go of unnecessary and unrealistic expectations. Helped me slow down and enjoy the humor of the day instead of getting caught up in frustrations.


I found out that usually I have the daily goal that everything go smoothly and perfectly. Didn’t realize that was my goal, but it was. No wonder I’m so grumpy and pessimistic all the time! Stopping, and breathing, and remembering that the little hic-ups throughout the day don’t really matter is really freeing. So far success is sporatic, but maybe someday I will build the habit of creating more realistic goals each day.


The advice helped me out on race day too. I was able to stop and breathe and remember that it was ok when I didn’t have time to warm-up. To laugh when I fell down. To smile and thank many of the volunteers along the course. To enjoy the whole process. And guess what?! My time was actually better than I was hoping! I probably did better because of my main goal. Finish with a smile.

4 comments:

  1. Really great advice. I need to work on this Toni. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely profound and correct. In fact, when you start to pin down how many of our feelings are started in our expectations and how our feelings usually determine our actions from moment to moment, you begin to see how important our expectations are. With a Smile. You might have to make Tee Shirts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that your mom sent me the link to your blog! I really appreciate this post. I am smiling :)

    By the way congrats on a race well ran,swam, and biked, all with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and...I like the t-shirt idea!

    ReplyDelete