Sunday, June 20, 2010

Missing the trip for the luggage (or: Why yes, I am obsessive compulsive. Why do you ask?)


For some reason this morning I decided to get out my old luggage and make sure it would work for my trip to Europe three months from now. It became obvious immediately that my current suitcase wasn’t going to do the job. Not due to size, weight, or style problems though. Unfortunately it seems that my darling cat mistook it for a urinal at some point. Great. (On a totally unrelated note, does anyone want a cat?)

So now I am faced with the challenge of finding a new piece of luggage. “Not a big deal,” I thought. “I’ll just check online to see what is available.”


Four hours later I awoke from my google stupor only to find out I was no closer to a decision than I had been when I started. Apparently my previous knowledge of luggage was woefully lacking. So many decisions! I tried to clear my head of the numbers swirling around. Liters of capacity, linear inches, carrying load.

All of a sudden I realized how ridiculous it all was. Sitting in a pile of Pro and Con lists, still in my pajamas, in the middle of the afternoon. Another list (the one of stuff I wanted to get done today) sadly neglected.

Why do I become so obsessed with these little details? I’m sure any number of the bags would be suitable. Somehow I always seem to keep searching beyond what is reasonable. It’s as if I think there is a perfect answer waiting out there. If I just. Keep. Searching. The perfect suitcase, the perfect camera, the perfect trip, the perfect _____ (you fill in the blank).

The perfect life. Is that what I’m really looking for? Reality is that every choice (suitcase related or not) has pros and cons. I will never find a suitcase that will fit a million things and still not break my back to carry. It seems that I was looking for a magic bag, a Mary Poppins-like bag. (Which would be so awesome by the way, wouldn’t it!)

Hmm. Guess the next step is to stop looking for the magical (and un-attainable) perfect life and just make a decision. I miss a lot of good things in life when I'm searching for the perfect life.

3 comments:

  1. We were built for a perfect world and although it is very hard to believe if you have your eyes opened right now, we are destined for one too. I cannot get my mind around it, but I believe it to be true based on my understanding of the Holy Writ.

    Our sense of "somethings is wrong with this picture" and our relentless "search for the perfect____" spring form the same well.

    The challenge (often seemingly unattainable) is to embrace the already/not yet and walk with a measure of peace/trust in the God who is there.

    Lord, please help Toni find a useful suitcase that will be functional and make her trip to Europe more enjoyable. Let it not be a big struggle too please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH! I am so with you on this one!!! That is something I would totally do. I have spent hours figuring out what colors, style, etc of leotards would look best on me. Silly us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kinda funny because the other day I was having a conversation with a good friend about this whole "search for perfection" thing. It's interesting to me that in our culture (i guess that what it is) theres a huge emphasis on having every thing perfect all the time, and if its anything less you are just "settling." And yet like you said, that search for perfection takes up so much time in our lives that in the end, "settling" for something wouldn't have wasted near as much of our lives as constantly searching for the perfect thing!

    ps- when you get there the suitcase isn't going to matter all that much! you will be way to busy! :)

    ReplyDelete