Sunday, May 15, 2011

Nesmith Point



Glad to be back to one of my favorite trails in the area today: Nesmith Point in the gorge. I'm pretty sure this is the first trail I explored after moving to Portland six years ago. Good challenge, and on a clear day beautiful views of the Columbia River.

Beautiful views on a NOT clear day too!
Almost didn't make the hike today, woke up about 30 minutes AFTER I was supposed to leave (oops). Pulled it together and ran out the door and drove like mad to reach the trailhead just before the group (missed out on the pre-hike meeting and carpooling, but that's ok). It's probably good I didn't have time to look outside before leaving since the rain looked less than inviting.

Turns out the rain was just as wet as it looked. By the time we reached the top all were soaked to the bone. Fortunately temps were decently warm so we didn't get too chilled, but I was definitely glad for all the dry layers in my pack!

Feeling refreshed with a snack and dry clothes we headed back down. The rain continued but seemed somewhat less drenching. And the fog cleared enough to see the river.


Fun hike in spite of the rain. I love the group of people I've been hiking with, such great attitudes no matter what the trail conditions are or how tough the climb is. Good training for the rest of life!



The Tally: 
Mt Rainier                          17 mi      9,000 ft elevation gain
Training Hikes So Far       70 mi     23,400 ft elevation gain




No comments:

Post a Comment