Sunday, February 6, 2011

Shameless Fundraising Request

As 2011 is well under way, we are all inevitably consumed with our daily lives, families, and work. I know I sure am! In the midst of it all, remember to stop and take a Deep Breath of fresh air. In fact, take several--because you CAN! If you are like most fortunate people, you breathe about two gallons of air a minute through your lungs. That is about 3,000 gallons of air, or 20,000 breaths a day. And if you are like me sometimes, you may not even notice.

But many people do notice, because if you can’t breathe, nothing else matters! Asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, lung cancer, or tuberculosis can make breathing a challenge. I have accepted a challenge of my own. In July 2011, I will be joining the American Lung Association’s Climb for Clean Air.

The Climb for Clean Air is the attempted summit of the 14,410-foot Mt. Rainier. Beautiful Mt. Rainier, the eminent landmark of Washington and the most difficult endurance climb in the lower 48 states. The four-day trek is led by Rainier Mountaineering Inc. guides. This annual event was founded in 1988 by world-renowned mountaineer Lou Whittaker to raise funds for the crucial work of the Lung Association, and to heighten public awareness about environmental and health issues related to air quality. Each year, the Climb for Clean Air generates nearly $500,000 to support the ALA’s goals of reducing tobacco use, preventing indoor and outdoor air pollution, and educating families and individuals living with lung diseases (like asthma, lung cancer, and emphysema) to help them live more fully and comfortably.

I need your help. I need to raise $3,750 by June 1 (with the first $1,875 by March 31st) in order to be on the team. The great news is that your 100% tax-deductible donation will be going to an outstanding cause. Please consider joining my team by:

J Helping me spread the word about what I’m doing –> Mention the Climb to friends and ask if they’d be interested in sponsoring me. More Climb details at www.climbforcleanair.com

J Many companies match their employees’ charitable giving – ask your employer to match your gift. There are also corporate sponsorships available for businesses, ask me about these if interested.

J Check out my Climb website for more information or to donate at: Toni's Fundraising Page. I’ll be adding tidbits regularly about my training and fundraising efforts. Send the link to friends.

J Send me your inspirational and encouraging thoughts, poems, jokes, stories, etc. I’ll post them on my website!

I thank you in advance for believing in this effort and in the important work of the American Lung Association—and I thank you for offering whatever support you can!


Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment